Sunday, May 17, 2009

To re-publish or not re-publish.......


Back in 2003, Mackenzie Cross and I published our first book, a novella titled "Enhanced" through Pink Flamingo Publications. The piece was well-received and the reviews were very favorable. Since this was our first endeavor together, we each had a lot invested in the story and the characters.

Since then, we've noodled around with the idea for a sequel and after a couple of false starts, we earnestly began writing book #2 tentatively titled "Beg."

As happens, life intervened and between his (life, that is) and mine, the project was set aside. Several times we have discussed the intent to re-publish "Enhanced" along with "Beg" as a package - we had ambitions of creating a series of stories along the same vein.

Now, Mackenzie has contacted me regarding his wish to include "Enhanced" in a volume of his own work (fiction and essays).

I have to admit, I'm a bit .... what's the word... conflicted. Yes, that's it, I'm conflicted as to what to do.

I still have not given up the wish that we could finish "Beg" and publish the two stories as a package (they contain the same characters).

On the other hand.....

I adore him and would love nothing more than to contribute to his success. I know at this particular moment in time, "Beg" is nowhere near completion and I'm thinking to deny him (Mackenzie) the permissions to use "Enhanced" would be selfish on my part.

On the other hand.....

I wonder if allowing Mackenzie to publish it in his volume would cause too much exposure and create a problem for us to market the two stories in the future.

On the other hand...

It would make my name and work visible again... Perhaps this is the impetus I need to make the time for writing again...

On the other hand...

I'm out of hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment