Sunday, May 24, 2009

Cinquains

Composing Cinquains sparks my creative muse like nothing else.

I was introduced to Cinquains through the writer's list at ERWA (Erotic Readers and Writers Association). It is an addictive form of poetry sometimes described as the American form of Haiku. Short, non-rhyming stanzas with specific syllable counts (2,4,6,8,2) that lend a distinctive rhythm to the words. Having been a dancer, it is that rhythm that drew me and once I learned, I was hooked.

We created an erotic alphabet of cinquains (published on the ERWA site in July of 2003).

Here are some of mine:

Cowboy
Denim-encased
I silently give thanks
To the person who invented
Wranglers

Dark eyes
Travel soft curves
Buzzing over petals
Drinking the essence of my soul
Like bees

Flannel
His old plaid shirt
Victoria’s Secret
Cannot compare to a shirt that’s
Flesh-warmed.

Quasi
Almost, not quite
That’s how you operate
Even the way you make love is
Half-assed.

Stillness
In that moment
Right after we love
When I have to remind myself
To breathe.




For more info on Cinquains, look here: http://www.ahapoetry.com/CINQHMPG.HT

No comments:

Post a Comment